4/21/2010

Somebody Killed His Editor by Josh Lanyon

Somebody Killed His Editor
by Josh Lanyon
Samhain Publishing [e-book]

Why I read: I've been getting into the M/M books and was looking for another one to abate my desire for it :D


Barnes and Noble synopsis:

Christopher Holmes has enjoyed a celebrated career as a bestselling mystery writer. Until now. He heads for a Northern California writers conference to try and resurrect his career. A career nearly as dead as the body he stumbles over in the woods. Christopher finds himself stranded in an isolated lodge full of frightened women-and not a lawman in sight. Except for J.X. Moriarity, former cop and bestselling novelist. The man with whom he shared a one-night stand-okay, maybe three-long ago. A ruthless, stalking killer, or a hot, handsome ex-lover. Which poses the greater danger?


****************************************************************************************

My Review: 

It wasn't what I was expecting. But with the synopsis that tells me there's a murder/mystery investigation going on, I don't know what I was expecting instead. So, I don't think it's okay for me to review it intelligently since this isn't my type of book to begin with. So anything said is from an outside-the-norm-of-mystery-reading thoughts. If you like murder-mystery [which I used to, just not anymore] and you enjoy M/M books, I recommend you read this one! In other words!!!: Forgive me if I sound like an idiot.

Alright! Now that we have that squared away, I do think that Josh Lanyon writes very well. He's easy to follow, I don't remember getting lost in any of his sentences or paragraphs. Very smooth. I was kept guessing the entire time of "who done it". I really felt bad for the main character. He was being forced to go out of his comfort zone with his writing to please his editor. I did have to hold back and bite my tongue so I didn't yell, "At least you have an editor [and agent]! arrrgh!" [hehehe] but if you're not comfortable with what you're writing, it's going to suffer and show through. Then you're pretty much toast!

Josh Lanyon did a fabulous job of feeding the seed of doubt about just about everyone. There's the fidgety agent, the bitch of a resort manager, the ex-con, silent cop, old lady with the young hunk... And it didn't seem forced. It just felt like they all had their past.

Christopher [main character] was such a comical character to read through. He had no sense of self-preservation until it came to the brink of death. He got stuck in weird situations, and somehow, escaped unscathed.

Though I love M/M romances because the love scenes are, knee shaking, I had a hard time seeing it in my mind from this book. I think it's because I kept imagining a scrawny dude with another guy that had a mustache and looked suspiciously like my ex-neighbor while I was growing up. Though I don't believe he's gay, it was just hard for me to "see" him and another man together. BUT! I did believe in it. There was a connection, a past, a passion, a yearning.

Luckily for Mr. Lanyon [and my review purposes], his ending was more of what I like [I wonder if it's because the two main characters were both male and didn't have the female craziness that is hormones], but he didn't make it too cheesy. In fact, I thought the last 3-4 sentences were *perfect* :D

Ratings:
1. Cover +1
2. Hooked: +1
3. Finished the book: +1
4. Overall Feeling: meh: +1
5. Re-readability: +.5 - skim through the mmhhhm parts :D
6. Suggest to others: +1 [m/m-mystery lovers]
7. Lost time: +1
8. Readability: +1


Though this isn't my type of book I usually like to enjoy, I'm happy that I can give it a 7.5 out of 10 :D


Author Website
Author Blog 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails