4/20/2010

Moon Craving by Lucy Monroe

Moon Craving by Lucy Monroe
Series: Children of the Moon
Urban Fantasy/Romance/Highlander
February 2010
Dell
$7.99

Why I read: I saw a comment by Lucy [author] on Babbling About Books and More blog saying that people believed her Alpha wolves were too Alpha. As if there were such a thing!!! So, I said I was going to have to put that statement to the test.

Barnes and Noble Synopsis:

When Talorc-laird of the Sinclair clan and leader of his werewolf pack- must wed an Englishwoman, he's shocked to find that she is his mate. Deaf since childhood, Abigail hopes to keep her affliction from Talorc as long as possible, just as he has no intention of telling her that he's a werewolf. But when Abigail learns that the husband she's begun to love has deceived her, it will take all his warrior's strength-and his wolf's cunning-to win his wife back.  

***********************************************************************

My Review: **some minor spoilers**

Like always, I'll start with the bad. I like getting that out of the way so I can tackle all the good!!! Because there is a lot of that :D. FYI... I couldn't find the first in the series, Moon Awakening, at the bookstore so I had to skip it until I order it online =).

First [in order of book]... I got all the way to page 106-ish before I found something I wasn't too sure I liked. Awesome right?! I thought so. The "Chrechte mating" ritual threw me for a loop. All the sudden there's these random nakie people, in a random place, with an Englishwoman... who's also nakie. It just didn't seem to fit. Especially with the response that Abigail [main character] had. As an Englishwoman, she's predetermined to be more modest... but in this instance... she doesn't care. Now, I'm a young, I-don't-give-a-damn kind of girl, and even I would have freaked out and covered my awesome parts if that were to happen to me. The only thing I can assume [and it's what got me through that part] is that she was just completely caught in the moment and everything just seemed right. Which could happen... but with me, it'd only be after I downed more alcohol than usual... and normal is about 1-1/2 bitch-beers [I know.. I'm a light-weight].

Also, there were a lot of random things that happened. The wedding baggage, the fight scene about 30 pages after the "Chrechte mating", a couple attacks towards Abigail and the way she finds "stuff" out about her husband. I was thinking it'd be something more... dramatic, or the how she found out would make a big scene about her not knowing. That's as covert I can be about it without ruining it for everyone :D

Then, there's the ending... If you didn't know before, you know now... I don't like it when things just "work out". I like a little conflict and insecurity, then reassurance or compromise. And Lucy Monroe was so much closer to that than I've seen in a while. It was still a tad too fluffy for my 100% approval. But that's my problem and I wouldn't hold anyone back from reading it just because of that.

NOW THE GOOD!!!! I love the good part :D The hook was AMAZING! I felt drawn in to the story in the very first sentence. The rest of the first paragraph in the prologue told me I was in for a delicious treat.

Lucy Monroe is a fantastic writer. If we were in Harry Potter world, I'd say her writing put me under the Imperius Curse since I couldn't put the book down. I read it in less than a day, which has been difficult to do lately with such a "GO!-GO!-GO!" schedule. If I had to describe her writing in 1 word, it would be enthralling. Or maybe enchanting.

I absolutely loved Talorc and Abigail's first meeting. It was so sweet the way he took care of her, though the marriage was last on his to do list. And how lucky are they both that an arranged marriage actually brings you a decent person?! Talorc's protective nature pops in constantly, and I love, love, love it. Then, when her secret is out in the open, he has such an affectionate way of getting her attention. 

I do wish I could have read more about Niall and... his mate [I don't want to ruin everything!]. But it made me happy to know that... "stuff" happened [hehehe].

So, to answer the reason for why I read the book... No, Lucy's Alpha's are not too Alpha. That's just ridiculous. They definitely are in their own league, but if you love Alpha's like I do [they're always at the top of my list of fictional hunky men] then you'll love her Alpha. At least Talorc, Niall, and Barr since I have yet to read Moon Awakening [sadface].

Ratings:
1. Cover +1
2. Hooked: +1
3. Finished the book: +1
4. Overall Feeling: mmmm: +2
5. Re-readability: +1
6. Suggest to others: +2
7. Lost time: +1
8. Readability: +1


yay! Another 10 out of 10!! Despite the random weird parts, I loved this book. I noticed that on the front of the cover Susan Wiggs is quoted: "Lucy Monroe will capture your heart." and she's not joking. I've added her to my favorite authors =) I was so happy to find that she was writing another in the series :D


Author Website
Author Blog


Other Review:
Babbling About Books and More
Demon Lovers Book Reviews and More


I would recommend this to anyone who can read. That's all the criteria you need :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails