5/18/2010

Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding

Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding.
Series: Dreg City Series (#1)
Dell 2009
$7.99

Some favorite quotes:
"...it's not every day a person becomes a reanimated corpse. My day was decidedly much worse, so I did the most sensible thing that came to mind. I stole her tennis shoes." pg. 6
"I can do a better job of ripping him a new asshole when I don't feel so much like death on cracker" pg. 106. (pst.. not sure what death on cracker means... but I heart the blunt badass-ness :D)

"I could have stayed like that for the rest of my afterlife... only I had to pee." pg 296 (hehehehe)

Barnes and Noble Synopsis:

They’ll never see her coming. . . .


When Evangeline Stone wakes up naked and bruised on a cold slab at the morgue—in a stranger’s body, with no memory of who she is and how she got there—her troubles are only just beginning. Before that night she and the two other members of her Triad were the city’s star bounty hunters, mercilessly cleansing the city of the murderous creatures living in the shadows, from vampires to shape-shifters to trolls. Then something terrible happened that not only cost all three of them their lives but also convinced the city’s other Hunters that Evy was a traitor—and she can’t even remember what it was.


Now she’s a fugitive, piecing together her memory, trying to deal some serious justice—and discovering that she has only three days to solve her own murder before the reincarnation spell wears off. Because in three days Evy will die again—but this time there’s no second chance. . . .

***************************************************************************
Wow... this was a fantastic read. Especially for a debut book! Well, maybe especially is the wrong word. I know that most authors spend up to years on one single book with edits and what not before it's picked up by agents.... but you know what I mean.. I hope?!

So it starts out with one of my favorite quotes from the book: "I don't recall the first time I died, but I do remember the second time I was born" I hope it hit you the same way it did me... which was "whoa! what?! second birth? first death? who gets that!? what's going on?" Or something like that.

So already, it starts out with a catch. The way things happened and fell into place were things that I wouldn't think of, but they held merit and I couldn't deny it (about 98% of the time). Besides the "who" behind all the bad stuff happening.. I guessed that one pretty quickly. The "dregs" were interesting creatures.. some of them. Some were like the ones you have no idea what they look like, you just know they're scary and you would not want to cross paths with one any day of the week.

I'd put this more in the Urban Fantasy section, if they had it at major book stores (get with the times already! Not every Sci-Fi/Fantasy/or Romance belongs there!!) since there's some sexual tension, but it's not this passionate love affair or anything. It's more along the lines of fighting bad guys and solving mystery, and then there's the sexual tension. But as a lover of sex (*cough* i mean romance novels) I was left wanting more. I mean, sure there was one incident that was so sweet i almost cried (j/k, I don't cry) but I never got that ease of the tension. Which, even though I'd consider it Urban Fantasy, I think it'd be okay to add one extra awesome part for readers like me. Maybe Kelly Meding just didn't think it was appropriate to include, which is her prerogative, but I definitely don't think it would have taken away from her awesome book.

So, as much as I L-O-V-E this book, there were some parts that didn't quite make sense. Like... and without giving it away... the decisions made on page 138... I think that the thought might have crossed their mind as being...... un.. safe? okay, that's good, didn't give away ANYTHING!

Back to the love stuff. There was one character who had the power to make or break Kelly. And I'm so glad she got it right. I believe in coincidence, but I don't believe in easy persuasion and altering a person's choice. Especially if you want that person to be strong, caring and loyal. So out of it all, this character became a favorite because of how Kelly allowed them to speak rather than making it easier on her writing. So what happens to this character is so devastating I think I actually did start to tear up for a little bit. I wish it could have been different, but I'm sure it was just as hard for Kelly to do as it is for me to even think about doing it to my non-important characters.

I know, I know... this pretty much tells you nothing. That's the point. Sort of. I want you to know how I felt while reading this book so you can choose for yourself if you want to go on the ride. (Which I REALLY recommend for this one!).

Ratings:
1. Cover +1
2. Hooked: +1
3. Finished the book: +1
4. Overall Feeling: :D +2
5. Re-readability: +1
6. Suggest to others: +9 [obsessive series readers only]
7. Lost time: nope! +1
8. Readability: +1


9 out of 10!!! :D Here's why:

If you're looking for an action packed, mind game, sort of Memento feel, and an Urban Fantasy book all wrapped up in one neat package... READ THIS!!!

Not for the ones who like sex... I mean romance... though you get a brief tumble with our favorite thing ;). Definitely worth the read anyway :D... but I can't suggest it to that type of reader with absolute conviction that they'll enjoy it (we all wish) as much as I have.

2nd book in the Dreg City Series: As Lie the Dead
Other Reviews:
Paranormal Fantasies (Thanks for showing me the second book! I was hoping for it!)

**Please let me know if you've reviewed this and would like me to add your link :D**


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails